Morning Turkey Sausage with Sweet Onion and Green Apple









Breakfast shouldn't be boring.  And for me, I need something more substantial than a few berries and yogurt to get me through the morning.  Since this morning was my first attack against my growing waistline, I decided to fix turkey sausage according to a recipe in a diet cookbook I've been following somewhat.  (I say somewhat because I always HAVE to add a little more flavor.  What fun is eating if it tastes like cardboard and water?)  The cover of my book sports a guy that reminds me a little of Jack Lalanne, he is super tan, oddly muscular with huge white teeth and a bright red one piece spandex unitard.
Don't ask me why or how I found this particular book, I just did.  I tried the diet once before and followed it to the letter, losing exactly 9 lbs and 1 dress size in only 6 days.  I actually fit beautifully into the dress I'd picked out for Jud and Caroline's wedding.  


I changed the recipe just a titch... it's a little easier and I think, tastier, this way:


1lb ground lean turkey breast
1/2 of a Walla Walla sweet onion, diced
1/2 of a Granny Smith Apple, shredded or diced, whichever you have time for
1 tsp of red pepper flakes
1 tsp of turmeric root powder (fabulously known for it's flavor and also for anti-inflammatory properties)
a pinch of sea salt to bring out the flavors
a couple grinds of fresh ground pepper to liven it up


gently mix together with your hands until just blended, (ground turkey will take on a gorgeous golden hue from the turmeric powder) and form into large flattened meatball size patties.  Spray a skillet (cast iron if you have one) with Olive Oil cooking spray (Trader Joe's has a good one) and let sizzle on each side for about 3 minutes over medium low heat.


This should make enough to last you the week if you eat one at a time.  I served mine up with a beautiful pink grapefruit sprinkled with a little cinnamon.  

Comments

Popular Posts