Beer Ice Cream

Guinness to be exact.


I posted my favorite "Salmon Poached in Beer" recipe in February, and from what I hear from my Gorgeous Bits Readers, it's been a huge success .  Today, as I searched for the perfect after work summer dessert cocktail, I came across this fab recipe on the Food and Wine website. It may be the cure for the unusual 90 degree temperatures looming over Portland .

This recipe has definitely inspired me to dig the inexpensive little ice-cream maker I bought at Fred Meyer last summer for under $20, and whip up a batch to help celebrate Friday night.  My diabolical plan is to freeze it overnight, then serve it with an additional cold Guinness poured over the top, soda-shop-float style, with maybe a few store bought chocolate covered pretzels stuck in the top as garnish.

Yum.

Ingredients:


2 cups Guinness (16 ounces)
2 cups heavy cream
1 3/4 cups whole milk
15 large egg yolks
1 cup granulated sugar

Directions:


1.In a large saucepan, combine the Guinness with the cream and milk and bring to a simmer over moderately high heat. In a large bowl, whisk the egg yolks with the sugar. Gradually add the hot Guinness cream to the yolks, whisking constantly until well blended.

2.Pour the mixture into the saucepan and cook over moderate heat, stirring constantly until it coats the back of a spoon, about 6 minutes; do not let it boil. Pour the custard into a medium bowl set in a large bowl filled with ice water. Let stand until the custard is cold, stirring occasionally, about 30 minutes.

3.Pour the custard into an ice cream maker and freeze according to the manufacturer's instructions.  Pack the ice cream into an airtight container and freeze until firm, about 4 hours.





{photo via Restaurant Widow}

Comments

Popular Posts