Writing about Cooking

For Christmas I received Mastering the Art of French Cooking , an absolute classic that believe it or not, was not already a part of my extensive cookbook library. I’d just finished reading Julie and Julia AND watched the movie a few days before Christmas...  the combination of delicious and comforting food, great writing and a pretty good movie inspired me.
There is such a definite, almost spiritual connection people have with food. For the last 8 years I’ve interviewed students and worked with cooks and chef instructors, and they all tell me the same thing: They’ve known they love to cook since they were children. Their most vivid memories are of being in the kitchen with their grandmother, their aunt, mother or father.  The memories, the tastes, smells and the warmth and love that food represented to them as a child has formed them into who they are today. Cooking food for people is an art form.  It makes some of us lose track of time and can light us up from the inside, like you've been plugged in and have an electric current running through your veins while  you chop, sauté, stir ,taste and create a meal. Almost everyone has stories that connect them to their past, to their family, friends and celebrations throughout life. Cooking for most of the people I know is a calling; their bliss, an artistic outlet, and their passion. It’s what makes their life richer, and it’s the one thing that makes them feel better no matter what else is going on.

I completely realize there are an impressive number of blogs now about recipes and food, restaurants, cook books and parties. But I think what is compelling me to toss my hat in the ring is the fact that I myself LOVE stories about food. Like Water for Chocolate still resonates with me and helped solidify my appreciation of the power of food and good literature. The best memories and some of the most important events in our lives revolve around food. People fall in love over food. We celebrate milestones like weddings, anniversaries, birthdays and job promotions with special dishes. I’ve always liked reading articles or books about what happened in someone’s life and what they ate, in a way, it tells you so much about a person and adds a colorful detail to their life story.

I imagine my blog to be brimming with recipes and pictures of things I make, great food I’ve eaten at restaurants.  I'll feature food that has been and made by my family and the chef’s who are friends. But also, this blog should tell stories. Good stories, hopefully. My goal is to record my own life/food experiences.  In the process, perhaps I'll trigger something, perhaps others will remember about the importance of food and how a good recipe, a fabulous glass of wine or a decadent dessert can enrich life.

Maybe, if everything comes along as planned, this blog can help connect the dots between delicious food, experiences, love, family, friends and celebrating The Moment of the Everyday.

Let's give it a go.

Comments

  1. Bravo. I am so happy that you're ready to give it a go. Yours will be at the top of the ranks in no time, my dear.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts