Apple Pie Crumble Cookies


We've been quarantined now for about 22 days.  Being home again after flying and living in a Crash Pad in Seattle inspired me to go back to my roots... to cook, write, photograph, take care of my home and family.  For the past several years I've found myself straying far from the kitchen, eating take-out and granola bars and can after can of sparkling water.  I went through Fight Attendant training first at Horizon Airlines, then a few years later, Alaska Airlines and left my Culinary School background far behind.  I've been living a bit of a Nomad life, half the time I'm in a little apartment in Seattle waiting to be called to fly across the country and stay in hotels.  The other half, the "home" half, I am usually found on the couch with my feet up watching Netflix and nursing a glass of wine in my sweats.  My husband probably didn't even recognize this new, quite unglamorous Flight Attendant wife camped out in the living room on her days off.

When the virus hit, my Airline was suddenly changed.  Flights are suddenly empty.  Everyone is wary to fly.  In many ways it doesn't feel safe anymore... breathing the same air for sometime 6 hours and flying from places that are COVID19 hot spots.  We have masks and gloves, the planes are diligently cleaned each leg, but you can feel the tension in the air and the eyes behind the masks look stunned and tired.  So I've come home for a while and found solace in my kitchen.

I've been using whatever ingredients I have to make comforting food that makes the house smell divine.  These cookies were inspired by Jamie Oliver and I converted the recipe just a tiny bit using fresh green apples and pairing them with a crisp Rose wine I had saved for a rainy day in the fridge.


Ingredients:

1 stick unsalted butter
1 cup self rising flour
1/2 cup sugar
1 egg
pinch of sea salt 
finely diced bits of apple

Preheat oven to 400 degrees and line a baking sheet with parchment paper that has been greased with olive oil or sprayed with non stick oil spray.  Cut the cold butter into cubes.

In a mixer fitted with a paddle attachment or in a food processor, blend together the stick of cold cubed butter with the dry ingredients and egg until crumbly.  Save aside 1/4 cup of the mixture to use as a topping to sprinkle onto the cookies.  Stir in the apply then scoop large balls of the crumbly dough onto the cookie sheet, leaving at least 2 inches between cookies.  Sprinkle with a pinch of the mixture you'd set aside.  Put into 400 degree oven for 10-13 minutes (depending on how hot your oven gets and how big the cookies are) Once you remove them from the oven, let them sit for an additional 10 minutes before transferring them off the tray onto a rack or plate.  

Would be an amazing dessert with a served warm with a scoop of vanilla ice-cream melting on top!

Comments

Popular Posts