Freakin Delicious Kale Chips.

Now THIS is absolutely BRILLIANT.

I must be late to the party.  Supposedly, this little gem of a recipe has been floating around the Internet for a few years now, and I am so glad I finally stumbled upon it.

I KNOW kale is good for you.  It's one of those "dark-green-leafy" vegetables that is not only in season in the dead of winter and surprisingly cheap to buy, but it is chock full of things that are supposed to be healthy for you.  I've tried to stir fry it, soak it in vinegar, saute it and add it to stews, but I have not been impressed.  I've read it's loaded with antioxidants, fiber, and even cholesterol lowering benefits, and I want to eat it.   But honestly, I've never really liked the taste of Kale. 

Until now.

Crunchy, salty, slightly briny and savory, Kale chips are divine.  Baked and served this way, you may even entice your kids to eat healthy leafy greens, and I haven't come across a simpler recipe.

  • First, buy what is called "Dinosaur Kale" or Tuscan Kale.  (You may need to go to Whole Foods, New Seasons.  I'm not sure Safeway or Albertsons carry the curly kind.)  Using a small sharp knife, cut out the stalk/stem from the middle of each leaf. 

  • Preheat your oven to 250 degrees, and while you're at it, toss about a tablespoon of olive oil into a Ziploc back with the prepared kale leaves.  Coat evenly. 

  • Spread out evenly in a single layer on two large baking sheets and sprinkle with salt and pepper.  (sea salt if you have some) and pop into the oven for about 30 minutes until crisp.  Transfer to a rack to cool.
In Bon Appetite, they are served upright, like this, in a vase...

They are surprisingly addictive, and look super cool on the table.

Comments

Popular Posts